Sunday, May 30, 2010

What to do when your friend's friends think you are a bad example

I really like Facebook. Being a military family, it has really helped me keep in touch with friends that have transferred or retired. It also helps me keep in touch with family that I don't particularly want to live by but don't mind hearing from on a computer with 1500 miles between us. Since I tend to be a little, oh what's the word, opinionated, maybe even non-politically correct (although I like the old-fashioned forthright), I don't have a ton of friends. I don't think it is really a test to see how many people will accept a friend request when they probably just clicked the wrong button and now can't undo it. I pretty much keep my friend list to people that will understand my crazy posts or need to use the word fuck occasionally. The only person I have on my list that has a hard time with this is my Mom and she calls me to yell at me every time I swear. Thank god for caller ID.

My problem is that I forget that some of my friends have LOTS of other friends. LOTS and LOTS of friends who don't necessarily share my views, opinions, logic or beliefs. When I comment on something they write I forget that I am not having a conversation with just them; I am having a conversation with all 2,491 of their friends. And guess what? Some of them don't like me. Shocking isn't it? They don't understand my humor or sarcasm or need to vent on a particular issue.

I recently got in "trouble" for this. I posted a comment that was really quite snarky on a post by a good friend. I didn't even think twice about it. Little did I know that I had contributed to a war of who is the best Navy wife ever. I certainly didn't mean for my friend to be sucked into the middle of this. She is a good, kind, decent woman. Unfortunately some of her friends can't take a joke and it escalated to the point that I wanted to smack the living shit out of a bunch of self-righteous bitches who really need to STFU. Sorry, that is just my opinion. I'm still trying to balance out that whole role model, good example thing with the very essence of my soul.

My question is really this: Is Facebook really worth it? If I can't be myself should I even bother with it? Why can't people have differences of opinion without somebody whining and crying that people are being mean? I don't have the answers for this yet. People have told me I just need to be more careful and think before I comment on something. Yes, I could do that, but am I being true to myself then? Why don't I just post all hearts and flowers and blow sunshine up people's asses. That is just not me. I am snarky and sarcastic and funny and a tad bitchy. So for now I guess I'll be a little cautious and see how it goes. The worst that can happen is that somebody messages Eric and tattles on me I guess.

2 comments:

Brandy said...

Don't be cautious. Be yourself. Some of us DO appreciate your humor, opinions and honesty.

As for those who have no sense of humor and take every moment of life too seriously...fuck em'. You can't make everyone happy and you shouldn't have to spend your life trying to live up to the fake 'sunshine and roses' persona. :)

KM Black said...

You my dear are NOT a bad example and I love you for who you are! I appreciate your views and all of your snarky sarcastic remarks! It's you and I think there is nothing wrong with you! You don't have to cookie cut yourself into hearts and flowers. Like Brandy and Court said...FUCK EM! I LOVE YOU!!!